Review: Religulous


I, like Bill Maher am an atheist, bordering on agnostic. I mean, I generally do not believe in God, certainly not the God worshipped by any organised religion, but who in the hell really knows and who even knows if it’s important to know? Maybe this- life, the thing we’re all experiencing now, is the one and only important thing. I say this because the subject of Maher’s 2008 documentary, directed by Larry Charles (the infamous “Borat” and “Bruno”) is religion, from the point of view of devout atheist comedian/TV host Maher. So it’s kinda hard to watch a film like this without your own opinions coming into play. I mean, I’m sure there are countless seriously devout religious people out there who will refuse to even see this potentially offensive (well, almost certainly offensive) criticism, and frequent mocking of, religion. That is their right, no doubt about it, and even if you are a religious person who is open-minded and critical, you’ll still probably wince a few times when Maher starts looking at the religion you subscribe to. I’m an atheist and I was wincing at some of Maher’s points, because even though I have a very similar outlook on life and faith as Maher and indeed agree with most of what he says, the guy has a way of saying it that almost makes you want to bat for the God Squad. He’s frankly, not very likeable, which isn’t a surprise really because he’s a smarmy comedian and let’s face it, most atheists in the media tend to be rather arrogant, insensitive curmudgeons, don’t they? Compare that with a faith believer like TV evangelist Joel Osteen (who isn’t in the film), who whilst looking like a bit of a schmuck, comes across as the nicest, most even-tempered and personable guy in the world (if weak as piss on some of the more complicated issues religious folk get pressed on like homosexuality), even if I’m a 100% non-believer. Where are the nice, rational, articulate, and even-handed atheist representatives out there?


Maher comes across as the same cynical, sarcastic (but admittedly funny and mostly intelligent) smug bastard as he always does, especially in the scenes shot in a car post-interview where he makes sarcastic and derisive remarks about the people he’s pretty much given the “Borat” treatment to. That is, he’s kinda set them up to embarrass themselves on camera (apparently he used somewhat underhanded tactics to get access to these subjects in the first place. Understandable and unavoidable perhaps, and unlike “Borat” or “Bruno” (assuming that they weren’t fake), the subjects will likely know what they’re in for once they see the fairly recognisable Maher, but still it’s not doing much for the atheist cause to do it in this manner). Director Charles is no better, using fancy editing, humorous inserts (and many are funny), and even derisive and sarcastic subtitles to paint things a certain way.


Also, some of the subjects are awfully soft (not to mention that the pot guy was entirely irrelevant), I kinda wished Maher engaged in genuine debate with serious opponents instead of the often ‘regular’ folk her does theological/intellectual ‘battle’ with I have a feeling that actor Kirk Cameron might’ve been relatively intelligent, but Maher only gives him a clearly edited sound bite treatment here. There’s also the human genome guy who is also a believer, who doesn’t get much of a look-in, either. He might not have had anything interesting to say, but with how little we get from him here (and it’s not even on his real subject of interest/expertise), I have to wonder if Maher simply wasn’t interested in giving him a chance. And I really wouldn’t have given the guy claiming to be a blood descendant of Jesus (think about that!) the time of day at all. Amusing segment, not as essential to the film as Maher probably thinks.


Yet, it’s from a POV I mostly agree with, and I can’t deny that the film is funny, mostly genuinely in-keeping with what I believe, and often intelligent. For instance, I believe Maher is perfectly within his right to mock anyone who believes in a completely literal interpretation of any religious text. It’s shocking to see in this film that some (if not more than some) indeed do have that interpretation, and I agree that it is somewhat unnerving that there may even be politicians who have these beliefs (let alone are anti-Evolutionists. I’m not the biggest Evolution guy, it’s just part of what I believe, but geez...). The funny thing is that the main religious politician Maher interviews turns out to be a Democrat, which is kind of astounding, really. I really enjoyed the section of the film discussing the discrepancies between The Old and New Testaments, as well as the suggestion that many of the themes and characters in the Bible aren’t necessarily original (some have disputed Maher’s assertions here, though). I also credit Maher with being brave enough to criticise/question Islamic faith, in addition to Christianity, Judaism, etc., even if it seemed that the focus was clearly aimed at Christianity/Catholicism. Maher also brings up a bloody good point about the ten commandments seemingly leaving out some far more important things like child abuse in favour of not worshipping false Gods or Thou Shall Not Steal, etc. I’m sure religious folk could come up with a perfectly decent rationalisation, but still...Maher’s onto something there I think. Meanwhile, the segment shot at Holy Land, a kind of amusement park/museum is jaw-dropping. First in its very existence, I mean, it’s the kind of thing you’d expect to be on an episode of “South Park”, with a gory re-enactment of the crucifixion. But some of the people he talks to there, whilst admittedly ill-prepared for an on-camera debate, are quite astonishing. But the best bit is his interview with the resident Jesus, who for the most part comes across as an ill-educated twit (bordering on stoner, which is kinda funny actually), but his equation of the Holy Trinity with the three states of water (solid, liquid, gas), has even Maher taken aback...for a moment or two, before going on to mock the notion. It wasn’t an especially smart analogy (and his response to Maher’s question about why God didn’t stop the Holocaust is shockingly bad, unfair as the question might’ve been), but it was far from the dumbest I’ve ever heard.


I definitely enjoyed watching the film, I can’t deny that. But it’s done in such a smug, derisive, possibly deceptive manner (except it’s Maher, so you know what you’re in for, surely?) that I almost wish I didn’t agree with Maher. Actually, I do disagree with Maher on a few things. Firstly, whilst I would’ve been 100% in sync with him when I was an angry young man, I’ve reached a kind of maturity and acceptance for others in my almost 32 years and y’know what? I don’t think it’s fair to say that all religion is bad all the time and offers nothing good at all, but I think that’s largely what Maher does believe. I also think it’s odd that Maher tends to offer an allegiance to an agnostic POV, which suggests that he or no one else for that matter can really know the truth. And yet, he’s still certain that the certainty of those with faith is stupid and wrong. WHAT? See, that’s where my agnostic side comes into play, because at the end of the day I know as much as you or anyone else, which is to say, not a damn thing (And like I said, I’m not sure if the existence of God or the meaning of life are even important questions to answer in the first place).


The way Maher closes the film (in confronting but frankly overly histrionic fashion- if not ironically tending toward sermonising) suggests that religion always has and always will lead to violence, war, and everything bad in the world. That to me is going way overboard (Not to mention that he’s doing this whilst standing at the supposed site of the End of Times, Megiddo, Israel. I love “The Omen”, but c’mon Bill...a little subtlety?) I get where Maher is coming from (but John Lennon put it much more eloquently in his signature song ‘Imagine’), but geez, lighten up, dude. If some little old lady wants to believe in a heaven and a little book called the bible, or if some guy is lost in life and thinks that following God’s teachings are gonna help keep him from going off the rails, then I’m not gonna walk up to those people and tell them they’re wrong and what they believe has no merit whatsoever. It has no merit to me personally, but so long as you’re not hurting anyone, I’m OK with whatever you want to believe. It’s your life. Based on his behaviour in this film, I think Maher wants everyone to be an atheist and whilst that might be nice, it’s not going to happen, so why bother trying? ‘Coz you just come across like that arrogant Scientology jerk that tried to tell Brooke Shields that seeking psychiatry in her post baby depression was wrong. Remember that guy?


The problem with the film is that Maher’s treatment of religion is likely to alienate just about anyone who isn’t an atheist, so his points are going to fall on deaf ears and he’s just going to be preaching to the choir, ironically enough. And why isn’t Eastern religion (Hinduism, Buddhism) touched on at all? I found that rather odd, actually.


So yes, this is a solid piece of docutainment, if I can coin a ridiculous new phrase, and I am an atheist myself, but overall this isn’t the best way to champion the cause. It’s just a chance for Maher to mock and hear himself talk. That makes it entertaining viewing, but not all that it could have been.


Rating: B-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Hellraiser (2022)

Review: Boyka: Undisputed

Review: Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear