Review: Who Took Johnny


Although it seems to be largely an American phenomenon, you’ve probably heard about how missing kids’ photos have adorned milk cartons over the years (A brilliant idea, whoever came up with it, by the way). This 2014 documentary by David Beilinson is about the first such missing kid, 12 year-old newspaper boy Johnny Gosch. Actually, it’s predominantly concerned with his loving, tirelessly crusading mother Noreen. I must admit I did not immediately warm to Noreen in this film. An early piece of news footage showing Noreen addressing the media in the hopes of getting information about the whereabouts of her son seemed forced and fake to me. It seemed like Noreen was something out of a corny made-for-TV movie. She was saying words that I just didn’t think a worried mother would ever really say. I was suspicious. Based on every other moment in the film with Noreen, I feel ashamed for questioning her for even a second. I don’t know what was going on in that press conference footage, but otherwise Noreen (mostly seen from 2014 footage) is one hell of a strong lady and a damn inspiration to parents with missing kids, across the globe. 30 years after her son’s disappearance may have aged her, but the determination and resilience of this woman hasn’t dulled with age one bit as she’s now helping other families of missing/dead loved ones get through tough times. Then we get some archival footage of an alleged accomplice to the kidnapping who was a victim himself, and later in life also a perpetrator. The problem? The archival footage has the same problem I had with Noreen’s archival footage, this guy seems corny and phony as hell. When he’s interviewed in the present day, again, like Noreen he seems completely on the up-and-up. I don’t know what to tell you, folks, but there’s a disconnect for me between the archival footage and present day interviews. I can’t explain it, it’s not something I’ve had issues with other similar documentaries, but nonetheless I found it a continued issue here that lessened my enjoyment of the film slightly. I also found Noreen’s handling of one incident involving a certain someone turning up on her doorstep to be out-of-step with what I’d think a normal, rational parent would do in that situation. However, since I’ve not been anywhere near her situation, I’m not ultimately going to judge her for that one.



Aside from Noreen, the most fascinating and frankly gob-smacking and enraging thing about the film is the police handling of the case. Or should I say mishandling. The investigators here were “Police Academy” levels of bumbling idiots, and at least initially, very, very reticent to do a goddamn thing. It’s disgraceful. Also, if you watched the enthralling true crime series “Children of the Snow”, there’s elements of that series’ labyrinthine criminal networking/conspiracy afoot here, too.



Although initially jarring with seemingly inauthentic archival footage, this is a sad and compelling look at a frustrating case and a wonderfully resilient, strong woman. Definitely worth a look, though it’s a bit gut-wrenching at times. 



Rating: B-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Hellraiser (2022)

Review: Boyka: Undisputed

Review: Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear